SNIPPETS

I like to post random snippets from things from time to time and this is one of them. It is from a story that has ten pages, no really thought out story line, and no title. But I still like it.






I was asleep when the messenger came; and no one thought to wake me. After all, I was only ten and I might as well have been invisible, to everyone but my uncle. And maybe that was how I knew; perhaps, when someone you love dies, you do ‘know’ without being told. I wasn’t told, I was never told. I don’t know if they decided not to tell me, or just forgot; probably the latter. I was used to being ignored and forgotten by everyone, except my uncle. When I woke up the next morning, I just knew. I knew that he was dead, and I didn’t cry. I never cried, I just shut out the world and everything in it, and the world shut me out. I was used to that. Ever since Mother died, I had shut everything out, everything except my uncle.
He was such a wonderful man. I wish you could have known him. He had bright hazel eyes, which always seemed to be full of mirth and joy. The only time I had ever seen them cloud over, was when Mother died. His hair was dark, dark brown. Thick and wavy, it fell just to his shoulders. He was tall and strong as a lion, but gentle as a lamb. He always seemed to be laughing. And what a laugh. It was deep and booming, filling the space with happiness. He always had an out-of-doors smell about him. I remember the smell distinctly. I had always used to bury my face in his chest when I was sad, and the smell had comforted me. He was so wonderful, and now he was gone. I would never hear his laugh again. Or see the twinkle in his eyes when he had a secret. I would never bury my face in his chest again.
I never saw the body, and if there was a funeral, I didn’t go. I don’t know if they even had one, they never told me. As soon as I knew, I went to his room and buried my face in his clothes; they still smelled of him. And no one noticed me, hiding in his room. But they washed everything, and washed away the last of him. I ate at table with the rest of them, but I didn’t sit in my usual seat; the seat by my uncles chair. I couldn't bear to sit too close. So no one noticed me, no one ever noticed.
I began to take refuge outside. Because outside smelled like him, and he had loved the outdoors too. I rarely slept in my room, because I fell asleep wherever I happened to be, I had always been like that, and my uncle had always come and found me and carried me to my own room, and tucked me into bed. But no one came to find me now, so I slept wherever I was when I got tired. In the woods, in a horse's stall, in a tree, on the roof. Anywhere. And no one paid any attention to me. When my uncle died, my half-brother was placed on the throne. He was my father’s son from a previous marriage, and I had never seen him, any more than I had seen my father. There had been Mother, and there had been my Uncle. And Mother died when I was three, so there was just my Uncle. He was my father, the only one I had ever known.

Then when I was fourteen, my half-brother died, and people began to take notice of me. And suddenly, after fourteen years of not being noticed by anyone but my uncle, I was the center of attention. I was the heir to the throne. I was a princess. And people began paying attention to where I went. They found me if I fell asleep, and woke me up and made me go to bed. I had to undress when I went to bed, and dress when I woke up. I had to sit in my old place at table, the place by my uncle’s chair. Then, a Regent came along. My uncle’s step-father began to rule until I was old enough to take his place.






 photo theauthor_zps8356b86b.png

FACEBOOK   GOOGLEPLUS   PINTEREST   TWITTER

4 comments:

  1. No. It is the Beginning.
    The story isn't finished, it only has ten pages written. I don't think I will be finishing it any time soon as I have too many other things to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'd just like to say that the little fish tank at the bottom is the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is kind of hypnotic, it took me a while to figure out that if you click you drop food for the fish. Very strange.

      Delete

I should be most pleased if you would leave a comment. I do so love reading them and hearing what you think.
(all of it, I want to know everything you think about....wait no, that's creepy)