Sefkh and Senet: Snippet (INCREDIBLY ROUGH DRAFT)

Here is a random snippety thingy from a random story that is sort of a companion thingy for Pendant. The eloquence of that last sentence is astounding. 
I have made no edits to this since I first tapped it into my lovely Scrivener file, creatively titled "Sefkh and Senet". So please forgive the multiple typos and whatnot which you will inevitably find.


The murky blue waters of the Nile glittered under the midday sun, and a weak breeze moved the boat sluggishly along, it’s elegant prow cutting through the water. Had Sefkh not been in such a hurry, it would have been pleasant to rest in the shade of the neatly stacked crates. Instead, he was pacing back and forth in front of them, wishing the boat would go faster. The wind, or lack thereof, was not entirely to blame either; Sefkh had decided that this craft, the Falcon, was the slowest boat in existence, however quick its namesake. Its captain was the only one he could find in such a hurry who had been willing to take the bent copper armband as payment, and there had not been time to waste haggling with another. Not that his hastily made choice had saved him much time in the end, if anything it had cost him more, he reflected bitterly. He had been promised that it would only take six days to travel from Thebes to Buhen, but they had already been on the river for eight, and still no sign of their destination. 
“How much longer?” Sefkh inquired sharply of one of the crew, a large man whose face had long been dominated by wrinkles, and who carried himself with air of impenetrable boredom and content.
“Peace lad, we’ll be there before the lights’ quite gone.”
Sefkh bristled at the man’s condescending tone. “I was told it would be but six days.”
The man shrugged. “Lazy winds.”
“Lazy boat, more like.” Sefkh muttered. 
“She’s not as fast as some, I’ll grant you, but she goes as best she can.”
“We would go faster if you would bring out the oars.”
The man smiled knowingly, “What is it you’re running away from?
Sefkh straightened, wondering how much the man had guessed. “Have you a name?” He said quickly. 
“Yafeu, but you haven’t answered.”
“Well, Yafeu, I am not running from anything,” Sefkh said, trying to sound more assured than he felt.
“It is a girl then? Or are you not running from one, but chasing after?” Yafeu said, baring his crooked yellow teeth in a mischievous grin. Sefkh managed to stifle a sigh of relief, and decided to go along with Yafeu. After all, it wasn’t such a bad excuse to use on those who thought him little more than a child.
“If you must know, then yes it is a girl. A very pretty one at that, but I’d not run from her for anything.” Sefkh rolled back onto his heels and cross his arms, perhaps he could get a little fun out of this tale. “She’s the most beautiful creature as ever there was, and I’d follow her to end of the world if theres a chance she’d like me any more for it.”
Yafeu nodded. “Aye, she sounds a pretty catch, and were I sight younger, I might be doing the same as you.”
Sefkh did his best to smile like a lovesick boy, but it wasn’t so hard as he was beginning to enjoy himself. “Why you’re not so old as that! I’ll wager you could woo any young maid and not be sent on your way as I was. Just don’t step foot near my Kamilah, or we’ll cross blades.”
Yafeu sighed contentedly, obviously flattered. “Ah, a lad in love, always so quick to pick a fight. Don’t worry, I’ll not be troubling your girl. But I haven’t had a good story in a while, and I wouldn’t mind if you should tell me more about her.”
Sefkh put his arm around the man’s shoulders conspiratorially. “I’ll tell you all you like, if you’d just set some men about the oars to take me to her that much faster.”
Yafeu chuckled. “Nay, I’ve not authority to give you that, though I would if I could. But perhaps the talking would pass the time?”
“It’s not that I’d mind the telling, but I’ve principles to stand by, and I can’t afford to go about giving what little I have for naught in return.”
Yafeu looked a little disappointed, but his complacent mood was not marred. “Well, be that as it may, you’ll need to find something to do until sundown but pacing like a caged animal. Still, I’ll not trouble you for what you’re not willing to give.”
Sefkh shrugged apologetically. “Perhaps my view is a foolish one, but it’s better than nothing.”
“And then again, perhaps it’s not so foolish.”
“You are very understanding. But perhaps the captain has some task I could assist with to pass the hours?”
“I wouldn’t guess so. There’s not much needs doing aboard the Falcon. Set her straight with a little wind to her back, and she’ll do just fine on her own.”
This man’s good opinion was of no actual value to Sefkh, and would help him in no way, but he was an amiable man by nature, and had no desire to leave behind a poor impression. 
“You have been most obliging and I thank you for your consideration. I regret now the way in which I first spoke to you.”
Yafeu nodded. “You’re in love, there’s no telling what a boy may do when he’s in love. But I’d best return to my post before the captain finds I’ve gone. Good fortune too you, lad.”
“May you live forever, my friend!”
Yafeu smiled contentedly and strolled back to his post, which was apparently nothing more than leaning over the side of the boat and watching his reflection wobble about on the water. 
Perhaps someday I shall become a sailor, Sefkh thought to himself, it seems a pleasant task. But there are no real dangers on the river, so mayhap I shall go to sea instead. 
But first he had to get out of Egypt. True, Buhen was under Pharaoh’s rule, but the Kushites were not particularly fond of their conquerers, and Sefkh had heard that a fugitive such as himself might find refuge there.

 photo theauthor_zps8356b86b.png

FACEBOOK   GOOGLEPLUS   PINTEREST   TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment

I should be most pleased if you would leave a comment. I do so love reading them and hearing what you think.
(all of it, I want to know everything you think about....wait no, that's creepy)