Reading Plans for Summer

    I feel that most of my posts on this blog start with "it's been so long" "I forgot all about this blog" or "wait, I have a blog?"
    This is because I am not a 'blogger'. I merely a person, who happens to have a blog, and posts on it occasionally. I devote none of my time to finding things to post about. With that said, I finally finished the Silmarillion! Actually, I finished it a few weeks ago, but that's not important. It was amazing. 
    It was not the 'oh this is a cool story' that I had expected. It was not easy to read. It's a history book. 
    It was filled with confusing and similar names, even a few repetitions of names. It spanned thousands of years, and expected you to remember it. It was full of unwieldy paragraphs, and long sentences without commas or semicolons. Very little was done for the benefit of the reader. 
    It abounded in words in other languages, that you were only given the meaning of once. 
    And it was wonderful. 
    Despite the fact that my edition of it made it look short, the typeset was tiny. 
    Do not be deceived, it's 130,115 words long, almost the same length as Return of the KingNow, this isn't actually that long, but I wasn't expecting it, and it caught me off guard. 
    Am I going to reread it as soon as possible? Yes. Absolutely.
I am currently working my way through the Lays of Beleriand, and as soon as I finish that, I shall read The Silmarillion once more. And when I want something lighter and easier to read, there is always the Book of Lost Tales I. And then of course a few items from the realm of modern YA fiction for when I really just don't want to have to use my brain. 
    Once I have reread Silmarillion, I shall reread The Lord of the Rings. Then I shall read The Shaping of Middle-earth. Somewhere in all this, I will also get to The Children of Hurin
    I can hear the angry voices of Anna Kerenina and Les Mis. trying to get my attention, but they have been sidelined for the present. Apologies to Tolstoy and Hugo.
   I may switch some of these to audio books, if I can find good ones, so that I can multitask. I am a fast reader, but I don't find lots of large blocks of time in which to read, and I can't read weightier books in random little ten minute segments. It just doesn't work. Anyway, I have reading to do.

   

 photo theauthor_zps8356b86b.png


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing The Silmarillion! Do you have a favorite character or event?
    Oh, I'm in the middle of reading Les Miserables right now and I just finished War and Peace (Tolstoy, just like Anna Karenina) what a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my favorite part of the whole entire Silmarillion is the stuff about Beren and Luthien, but Turin T was pretty awesome as well. I am currently reading the full 4200 line Lay of Leithien (the Lays of Beleriand).

      Delete

I should be most pleased if you would leave a comment. I do so love reading them and hearing what you think.
(all of it, I want to know everything you think about....wait no, that's creepy)