Beautiful People: Reniseb (3.0)

How did you come up with this character?
I was reading Agatha Christie's "Death Comes as the End" and I saw the name and a picture of Reniseb began to form in my mind. Funny thing, I only recently discovered that Christie's Renisenb actually had a brother named Yahmose. I hadn't been thinking of that when I was working on Yahmose's character, but it must have been lingering in my subconscious. I have yet to decide if I will change his name. Reniseb, like everyone else in Pendant, has changed a lot over the years, but she has probably experienced the most dramatic changes of all of them. She was first a strange nervous creature, not very smart, descended from a goddess, who suffered from heart trouble that resulted in her fainting under stress and having weird dreams. She was foolish and too shy to really talk to anyone, and terribly sensitive. Then she transitioned into a very intelligent young woman, who was fond of solitude and reading and listening to stories. She was clever and quick, and manipulative (in a sort of good way) and she could hold her own in a conversation (or insult battle with Ukani). 
Now, in what I hope to be her final personality (although she will of course change a little) we find a young, idealistic girl with big dreams and a smattering of sass. She is smart, but doesn't know it, and doesn't really think before she acts. She does not cope well with not having what she wants, and is exceedingly miffed at being taken away from the only person she really likes, AKA her brother. She is outgoing and flirtatious, with people her own age, and wishes for a fairytale life, complete with adventure, a prince charming, and a dead mother in place of a dead dad. To be clear, she doesn't hate her mother at all, but she wouldn't mind giving up her mother to have her dad back. And did I mention that she is no longer the main character?

Have they ever been starving? Why? And what did they eat to break the fast?

She hasn't really been starving, but they haven't had much money and she certainly isn't well fed. She thinks she has the worst of life, and is blind to how lucky she really is. Even running away doesn't really show her, because she finds Tseskos before too long. Yahmose dying awakens her a little bit, but at that point she is still very immature and most of her sadness is for herself. Don't think she didn't love him, but it is kind of the 'what will I do without him, how will I ever be happy again, why did this happen to me?' sort of thing. 

Do they have a talent or skill that they’re proud of?

She is actually a really good actress, but doesn't really realize it enough to be proud of it. She is rather vain and arrogant, but not in justifiable ways. 

List 3 things that would make them lose their temper.

She hates the fact that she is too poor to have the sort of life she wants (don't we all, Reniseb). She hates it when people are patronizing or condescending to her (less so if it's Yahmose). She gets really annoyed when people don't listen to her. She hates the feeling that she can't be heard.

What is their favorite type of weather? Least favorite?

She hasn't really seen many types of weather, but it's safe to say that she loves a windy day, and winter (winter being about 60 to 80 degrees). Summers range from about 90 to 110 and it's safe to say that this is her least favorite time of year. Fortunately it is quite dry in Egypt, so the heat is not quite as unbearable as it sounds to people who live in a humid climate. 

What is their Hogwarts house and/or MBTI personality?

Um, perhaps this would be the time to say that I haven't read Harry Potter and don't really have any desire to do so. Next! I don't like those quizzes because I have tried taking them for my antiquated characters, and the questions are just too contemporary. And it's no use saying "just imagine her in modern times" because if she had grown up in the 21st century, she would be quite different. Refer to the first question for her personality. 

Are they more likely to worry about present problems, or freak out about the unknown future?

Reniseb worries about present problems more, and the very immediate future (as in, next week). If she were able to look at more distant (2 or 3 years) slightly more realistically, she might worry about them too. As it is she just sees herself rich with a handsome face at her side, so what is there to worry about?

What is their favorite thing to drink?

Wine, and anything that has anything to do with a coconut. However, due to financial restrictions, she has only had wine about three times in her 16 years and it wasn't very good. She actually likes beer (staple beverage) just fine, but is unable to be content with it because all she can think about is how she can't have wine. In fact, if she was rich, she probably wouldn't like it that much. The fact that she can't have it makes it much better. Just like Ukani (aherm, SPOILERS, not really). 

What is their favorite color? Least favorite?

She loves blue. A lot. And not just because it is a slightly more expensive color (although that is a decent sized part of it), it is one of the few things she actually just likes because it is beautiful. It is why she is so terribly fond of staring at the sky. She hates red.

What is a book that changed their life?

Um.........well......no book? I'm not sure she has ever seen a story that was written down. In a way, you could say that all love stories with a happy ending changed her life, because they gave her crazy aspirations which then resulted in her doing something that changed her life. Other than that though.....

 photo theauthor_zps8356b86b.png



6 comments:

  1. Dreams and sass are the perfect blend. But you still brought in flaws! Awesome. It can be a little challenge to make an arrogant character likeable, but I'm sure you're up for the challenge.
    http://www.inkspelledfaery.com/2016/09/11/beautiful-people-21-september-edition/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you like her! Sometimes I feel kind of bad, because if I wasn't so cruel to Reniseb in this book, I think she would have matured into a really awesome person. I mean, a little of my harshness would be needed to achieve that end, but not all of it. I'm sorry, Reni! I truly am.
      I rather think that she won't be liked at first, then she will be pitied, then she will be liked and then I will say to the readers "oh you like her now do you? Ha! watch this"
      Writing is kind of terrible.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, she sounds kind of like me??? Anyway, I like her alot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is a sweet creature, and I've been meaner to her than to any of my other characters..even Sefkh.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I know, right? Why is it that we are always so mean to the nice ones??? I'm not even that mean to my villain! (Okay, come to think of it, I AM kind of mean to him, too...)

      Delete
    3. I had to be pretty mean to my villain to get him to be a villain, but other than that he is kind of my pet.

      Delete

I should be most pleased if you would leave a comment. I do so love reading them and hearing what you think.
(all of it, I want to know everything you think about....wait no, that's creepy)