Why I Don't Participate in NaNoWriMo (or the internet)



A RANT THAT YOU SHOULDN'T READ:

As I look at my lovely little blog feed, I see that it is filled with "preparing for NaNoWriMo" posts. And I feel a teeny tiny twinge of "maybe I should do that". But I don't. I don't think there is anything wrong with NaNoWriMo, in fact I think it is a great idea, and it brings me joy to see so many writers of so many different sorts participating in it. It's great. 

But it is not for me. And this is only partially my vague and uneducated opinion, because I did NaNo once. For a little while, that is. I figured out how much needed to be written every day, and I did it for a bit, but I made the mistake of glancing back over my work. 

I did not find the beautiful word vomit that can be edited down into a lovely scene, I don't really know what I found, but it was horrid. 
For some people, forcing themselves to write 50000 (or more) words in a month is a constructive thing, that forces them to "just do it" and edit later. For me, it was destructive. 
Writing with increasing speed made me more careless, and even if that stuff had been salvageable, it would have taken so long to edit, that in the end it wouldn't have been worth it. 

So I spent about a week and a half, and ended up with absolutely NOTHING I could use, whereas if I had been going slowly, I should probably have ended up with a few thousands words of quality material, that would have been helpful. 

By the time I stopped, there was already a CLEAR downward spiral in my writing quality, not to mention the fact that I was going to fast to be anything close to mindful of history. I know for some people, it is easier to write the scene, then go back and make sure it's historically accurate, and change the words. 
For me, my book is centered around actual people and an actual event, so history has a HUGE impact on my plot. If it were stuff more along the lines of going back and putting in a historically accurate breakfast, it would not be a problem, but it isn't. For me, it is better in the long run to research things as I go along. Also I can't concentrate with a question hanging in my mind. 

I just said "for me" about a million times, and I hate repeated words. Sigh.

Anyhow, this is all to say that NaNoWriMo does not work for me, because the kind of blurting that results in me when writing at that speed, is unsalvageable. If NaNo is productive for you, I envy you, and enjoy. 



Why I'm an Internet Loner:

I don't actually follow terribly many blogs. I am technically subscribed to about 30, but I don't really keep up with them, save for the occasional post now and then. I don't unsubscribe because I like to see what they are up to, and every now and then there is something that I would regret missing. In addition, I simply haven't got that much time to spend reading blog posts. I also rarely comment on posts, even for bloggers I follow closely.
This should give you an image of me as someone who likes be a part of the blogoverse, read the posts and the comments every now and then, see what everyone is doing, but not actually participate that much. 

I respond to tags, and when I join Beautiful People (the only linkup I have anything to do with really) I put my link in like the good little girl I am. Beyond that, I keep to myself. I don't initiate tags or linkups or challenges, and I don't think I have ever joined in one of those "BLANK-week" thingymajigs.  

I like watching the bustle, but I get lost inside of it. 

I am also not present on social media. I have a Google+ account under my pseudonym, Goldenrod Gardener, strictly for Red Book purposes. (SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION: 
I am technically on pinterest, but I think the last time I checked it was last month, maybe the one before? 
My reasons are simple:
Social Media, in my limited experience - and the experience of watching over the shoulder of people who are active on it - has proved to be:

1. A huge waste of time
2. Actually kind of boring, ew why do people like it so much? I DON'T UNDERSTAND

I mean, I was told that pinterest was an addictive, bottomless pit, and I found myself bored out of my mind after about ten seconds. 
Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but I'm not going to invest time TRYING to make it more addictive so....
I kind of an old lady, who is also a bit of a computer geek, and prefers HTML/CSS to latin and french. (Disclaimer: I do not actually speak latin or french, and can probably only remember about six words in each language. I am also abominable [by my standards] at HTML/CSS but I love it.)
You know how old people say things like "what are the children saying these days? Loll? Teemy? Omgee? I don't understand?"
Well, I am often very confused by modern speech, though I am becoming MUCH better at deciphering it. Apparently we are speaking in acronyms now. As well as misspellings and abbreviations. Wait, let me try one:
Leaving rn, by!
Oh wait, I used a comma and capitalization. I'm going to try again.
jst fyi Im leaving rn thx for reading by!!!



 photo theauthor_zps8356b86b.png



2 comments:

  1. I'm the same way! My friends always say I'm like a British grandmother just because I drink tea, knit, read old books, and wear sweaters everyday. On second thought, maybe they have a point...but there's nothing wrong with being a little old-fashioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH I was a British grandmother. Grandmother I hope to someday achieve, but alas, I can never be properly British.

      Delete

I should be most pleased if you would leave a comment. I do so love reading them and hearing what you think.
(all of it, I want to know everything you think about....wait no, that's creepy)