Making a Sewing Box

As my twin and I are in a stage adaption of Sense and Sensibility, and I have been making Spencer Jackets, resulting in lots of hand sewing. I also have a good amount of time off-stage at practices in which to sew, o I decided this morning that I wanted a sewing box that I could take with me. 
My first plan was to make a zippered bag, kind of like a makeup bag, but I much prefer repurposing things to making things from scratch. 
So I went on the hunt for a good box. I found this one in my closet, I think it was the packaging for some stationary that my mom gave me a long time ago.

Why yes, that is my shelf full of Tolkien sitting in the background. Accompanied by a little Rosemary Sutcliff

It had this weird window preview of the stationary, which I thought very strange. So I cut it out.

I also decided to unstick the backing on the lid 

I then took a random piece of fabric that I found and I made a pincushion for the top of the box. I stuffed it with sawdust, as I heard that was better than cotton batting or fabric scraps, and I quite like how it turned out. I pushed it up through the hole made by removing the window thingy, and then glued the backing back on. Always remember, hot glue is your friend. 

I then cut a square of the same fabric to fit the inside of the lid, and sewed on a little pocket for my needle case, and a couple of elastic loops for my tiny scissors. 

Next I cut up an empty tissue box (these are also your friends, never throw them away).

Then I did a bad job of covering it in fabric. I ended up only using the larger one, and had to resort to a different random scrap of fabric, which doesn't really match the rest of the box, but it looked okay.
Oh look! CS Lewis and Madeleine L'engle.

Next, a piece of cardboard covered in the same fabric, cut to fit the bottom of the box.

I also glued a couple of little elastic loops in the front of the box to hold some spools of thread, and then filled up my box with things. Including an altoids tin for my tiny spools of yarn, and a smaller tin for safety pins. And of course my 'box of random things'. There is still plenty of room if I needed to put something else in here, which is loverly. 

To finish it off I strung some ribbon through a button, glued it to the inside of the lid, and then put a loop of elastic on the bottom of the box. 
I also put a little patch over it for no particular reason.

 photo theauthor_zps8356b86b.png

Come chat about The Silmarillion with me: 

No comments:

Post a Comment